Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Run when you can, walk if you have to, CRAWL if you must, just NEVER give up!!!

I went hiking today and hiked to my city's highest point. It's not the first time I've done this but in a long time it's the first time I've gone on my own. In order to not get bored and fall off the work out/lose weight wagon I've decided I need to switch up my work out routine, more like alternate them. All of last week I went running at the lake and this week I've decided I'll go hiking the same mountain all week.

Today was tough, the mountain is typical hiking terrain, rocky, windy, a lot of turns, steep just a mix of everything but extremely rocky and hilly. Usually when I run my 6.4miles I feel the work out's effect but when I hike my body gets double the effect. Weird because the mountain is 1.5miles each way a total of 3 miles half of the run at the lake which is 6.4 miles. I still can't run up all the way so I walk up to the very top then run back all the way down.

But today for some reason I was just so tired and I made a few stops on my way up and actually fought the urge to not abandon the whole idea and just go back home. When I feel like this I keep thinking 'mind over flesh' and on one of the Biggest Loser episodes some guy told his wife the saying 'pain is temporary but pride is forever' and those two sayings kept me going. It was tough because my best person wasn't there to give me a pep talk or hold my hand but I kept pushing and telling myself just one more step. I made it to the 1/2 mile mark and my energy just vamoosed but I pushed to the 3/4 mile mark and asked myself really what good would it be to go back when I was so close and I pushed all the way to the very top. And its funny how the body works because the second I got to the top my breath was back to normal and within two minutes I was running back down so full of energy.

For breakfast I had my loaded oatmeal (1/2 a cup 100% whole bran oats, 1/2tsp of cinnamon, 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract, fresh lemon juice, brown sugar, dried raisins & cranberries) absolutely yum! I love oatmeal because it keeps me full all the way until lunch and some days lunch time comes and I'm still full :) I had strawberry banana yogurt and an apple for lunch, a cuppa black tea and glass of cranberry juice, and for dinner spinach and beef stew.

I'm still doing the "No S" no sweets, snacks, or seconds unless on days starting with -S- and/or on special occasions.

Tomorrow it is back to the mountain for me. My poor knees feel wobbly but the ends results will ensure no more knee pain from weight.

My Mantra:

Run when you can, walk if you have to, CRAWL if you must, just NEVER give up!!!

2 comments:

Traci said...

Great mantra! Good job keeping up that great work on your hike! I often picture the trainers yelling at me to keep me going.

The Pink Lady said...

Love the mantra!

Post a Comment